Insight is at the forefront of innovations in the area of data science health and wellbeing management. Advanced data analytics enables enhanced decision-making and contributes significantly to improvements to health conditions and increased quality of life overall. A number of key projects include:
- Recreational Running: Insight’s Running Injury Surveillance Centre (RISC) project, the largest study of its kind conducted to date, involving 315 recreational runners (1.4 million footsteps – more information is available here)
- Youth Health: FLOURISH seeks to combine student wellbeing and development in higher education with Insight’s expertise in data analytics. FLOURISH was developed to understand if and how University students could be supported to manage their own lives, to be well, and to reach their personal and professional development goals. We do this by harnessing their digital footprints, using both University-held data and students’ own personal data, and applying our data analytics techniques to this data for the benefit of the students (more information is available here)
- Medical Imaging: The recent state of the art advances in machine learning and deep learning have opened up many new possibilities in the field of medical imaging. In parallel, radiologists are producing more complex data than ever before and there is a strong demand for sophisticated new tools which can improve the diagnostic process and assist with simplifying and interpreting the data.
- Moving Well-Being Well The largest study of its kind, it explored fundamental movement skill (FMS) proficiency among Irish primary school children (more information is available here)
- Concussion: Insight’s work with World Rugby and the Irish Rugby Football Union produced the first study in the world to identify a modifiable risk factor for concussion injury in rugby
- Reducing hospital waiting lists: Stimul.ai, a new spin-out company from the Insight SFI Centre at UCC, has the potential to radically reduce hospital waiting list times (more information is available here)
You can read more about our latest projects here – https://www.insight-centre.org/news/