John McCrae is a lecturer above the bar at the Insight Centre for Data Analytics at the University of Galway. He is currently working with Paul Buitelaar in the Unit for Natural Language Processing. Until 2015 he was a post-doctoral researcher at the University of Bielefeld in Bielefeld, Germany in Prof. Philipp Cimiano’s group, AG Semantic Computing. His main research has focussed around the development of linguistic linked open data and in particular the development of models for the representation of lexical resources, by means of the lemon and OntoLex models. He has previously been involved in the organization of the Linked Data in Linguistics Workshop Series as well as organizing workshops on the Multilingual Semantic Web, Knowledge Extraction and Knowledge Integration as well as several tutorials at major conferences and is organizing the first conference on Language, Data and Knowledge (LDK 2017).
Research Focus and Applications
- Research: ontologies, lexicography, knowledge graphs, machine translation, linked data, machine learning, under-resourced languages and digital humanities
- Over 100 publications with h-Index 23
- €1.7m research funding from EU, IRC, SFI
- Standardization activities with W3C and OASIS
- Experience in industry-focused projects on knowledge graphs, linked data and ontologies
- Industry collaborations with Fidelity Labs