Prof. John Breslin is a Personal Professor (Personal Chair) in Electronic Engineering at the College of Science and Engineering at the National University of Ireland Galway, where he is Director of the TechInnovate / AgInnovate programmes. John has taught electronic engineering, computer science, innovation and entrepreneurship topics during the past two decades. Associated with three SFI Research Centres, he is a Co-Principal Investigator at Confirm (Smart Manufacturing) and Insight (Data Analytics), and a Funded Investigator at VistaMilk (AgTech). He has written 200 peer-reviewed academic publications (h-index of 39, 6200 citations, best paper awards from IoT, DL4KGS, SEMANTiCS, ICEGOV, ESWC, PELS), and co-authored the books “The Social Semantic Web” and “Social Semantic Web Mining”. He co-created the SIOC framework, implemented in hundreds of applications (by Yahoo, Boeing, Vodafone, etc.) on at least 65,000 websites with 35 million data instances.
He has featured in over 200 mainstream media items including articles from Forbes, New Scientist, Washington Post, and France 24, and has given over 50 talks and been on 20 panels at venues including Stanford, Tsinghua University, US Library of Congress, and University of Chile. John is Co-Founder of boards.ie (Ireland’s largest discussion forum website), adverts.ie (classified ads website), and StreamGlider (real-time streaming newsreader app). He has won two IIA Net Visionary Awards, and an ITAG Outstanding Contribution to the ICT Sector Award. He is an Advisor to AYLIEN and Pocket Anatomy. He is Co-Founder of the Galway City Innovation District / PorterShed and Startup Galway. John is a Non-Executive Director at WestBIC, where he serves as Vice-Chair. He also undertook the Entrepreneurship Development Program at MIT in 2017. He coordinates the STARTED Erasmus+ Knowledge Alliance.
Research Focus and Applications
- Research areas: social semantics, Semantic Web, Linked Data, social media, privacy, sensors
- Director TechInnovate; Personal Professor Electronic Eng; Co-PI Insight and Confirm; FI VistaMilk; Co-Founder boards.ie, adverts.ie, Galway City Innovation District / PorterShed
- Creator of SIOC [Semantically Interlinked Online Communities] social semantic framework (deployed in >100 applications by Boeing, Newsweek, Vodafone, Yahoo!, etc. on thousands of websites)
- h-index / total citations / peer-reviewed publications 40 / 6644 / 200 (including 15 publications with >100 citations and two books [“Social Semantic Web”, “Social Semantic Web Mining”])
- Industry collaborations with AYLIEN, SAP, IBM