Edward Curry is the Established Professor of Data Science and Director of the Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics at the University of Galway. Edward has made substantial contributions to semantic technologies, incremental data management, event processing middleware, software engineering, as well as distributed systems and information systems. He combines strong theoretical results with high-impact practical applications. The excellence and impact of his research have been acknowledged by numerous awards, including best paper awards and the University of Galway President’s Award for Societal Impact in 2017. His team’s technology enables intelligent systems for smart environments in collaboration with several industrial partners. He is organiser and programme co-chair of major international conferences, including CIKM 2020, ECML 2018, IEEE Big Data Congress, and European Big Data Value Forum. Edward is co-founder and elected Vice President of the Big Data Value Association, an industry-led European big data community, has built consensus on a joint European big data research and innovation agenda, and influenced European data innovation policy to deliver on the agenda.
Specialties: Autonomic Computing, Collaborative Data Management, Cyber-Physical Systems, Energy Intelligence, Event-based Systems, Linked Enterprise Data, Semantic Information Management, Sustainable IT, Technology Management, Web of Things
Research Focus and Applications
- Combining strong theoretical results with high-impact practical applications fueling many industrial applications, such as energy, water and mobility management. Working with industry and government advising on the adoption patterns, practicalities, and benefits of new technologies
- Novel techniques for approximate semantic processing of events within large-scale distributed systems.
- GNOSIS: a neuro-symbolic approach to multimedia event processing using knowledge graphs and deep learning models for visual reasoning within AI-powered video analytics.
- Distributed Systems (Event-based Systems, Stream Processing, Middleware)
- Data Management (Dataspaces, Linked Data, Semantics, Data Governance, Data Ecosystems)
- Smart Environments (Water, Energy, Cities)
- Collaborative Data Management