Research Fellow – Data Engineering and Data Spaces – Insight Centre for Data Analytics
Ref. No. University of Galway 273-22
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time fixed term 24 month contract
position as Research Fellow with the Insight Centre for Data Analytics at the University of Galway,
The research fellow post is funded through the Digital Europe project “DS4EU” that has been granted
by the European Union. This project is highly interdisciplinary as it supports the advancement of Sata
Spaces in Europe on an unprecedented scale with a European approach to data sharing that optimizes
economic benefits combined with European values. The consortium comprises includes 15 European
partners including academic and industry partners.
The research fellow will be expected to perform a leading role in DS4EU within an established group
of researchers and PhD students focusing on data spaces, data engineering, and data governance, as
well as a long tradition of applying this expertise in various domains, including healthcare, education,
sustainability, smart cities, privacy, and digital humanities.
The candidate will be the lead researcher on the DS4EU to support data spaces and data sharing
technologies. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape the data landscape within
Europe, establish principles for and develop tools to support best practices for data spaces, and
support stakeholder awareness and education. You will participate in cross-consortium meetings with
academic and industry project partners and engage within external events with stakeholders in the
European Data Ecosystem.
The successful candidate will be based in the Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics at the
University of Galway. The candidate will be supported in their professional development, be able to
avail of a range of career level focussed training opportunities, have the potential to publish research
findings in leading journals and international events.
The successful candidates will be expected to perform a leading role in research, supervision, and
research management. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Establish principles and tools to support best practices for data spaces in collaboration with
the European data community
● Driving a dedicated research agenda on data engineering and data spaces within the Centre.
● Developing new directions of research leading to peer-reviewed publications in top
conferences and journals
● Establishing collaborations with industry on data engineering and data space-related projects
● Leading research projects, reporting and team management for the project including the
supervision of junior researchers
● The project will involve international travel to consortium meetings and presentations of
research at international conferences
● Proactively identifying opportunities for external funding sources and preparing grant
proposals in collaboration with the PI
● A PhD with 5+ years of experience in computer science, engineering, or a related discipline
● Expertise in technical aspects related to data spaces including data engineering, management,
integration, sharing, privacy, analytics, licencing, and data governance.
● A proven track-record of research performance including publication and dissemination of
results and collaborations
● Ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams and partnerships for collaborative research at national
and European levels.
● Expertise in related areas including data platforms, data ecosystem, artificial intelligence,
knowledge graphs, linked data, or event processing
● Experience in successfully preparing/writing grant proposals and participating in collaborative
● Experience in working with industry
Salary: €56,933 – €62,037 pro rata for shorter and/or part-time contracts (public sector pay policy
rules pertaining to new entrants will apply).
Start date: Position is available from earliest possible start date from November 2022
Continuing Professional Development/Training:
Researchers at University of Galway are encouraged to avail of a range of training and development
opportunities designed to support their personal career development plans. University of Galway
provides continuing professional development supports for all researchers seeking to build their own
career pathways either within or beyond academia. Researchers are encouraged to engage with our
Researcher Development Centre (RDC) upon commencing employment – see HERE for further
Further information on research and working at University of Galway is available on http://www.nuigalway.ie/our-research
For information on moving to Ireland please see http://www.euraxess.ie/
Further information about the Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics is available at http://www.insight-centre.org
Informal enquiries concerning the post may be made to Professor Edward Curry
Applications to include a covering letter, CV, and the contact details of three referees should be sent,
via e-mail (in word or PDF only) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put reference number University of Galway 273-22 in subject line of e-mail application.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 5 pm on Friday 11th November 2022.