Irish Collegiate Programming Competition
Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics has been a proud supporter of the Irish Collegiate Programming Competition since 2013. The Irl-CPC is Ireland’s most prestigious computer programming competition, which attracts the best programmers from universities across Ireland, with occasional entrants from abroad. A junior track competition is also held for secondary school students. High achieving competitors from the junior track are invited to compete for a place to represent Ireland (Team Ireland) at the European Girls Olympiad in Informatics (EGOI).
Saturday the 25 March 2023 saw the hugely successful return of the Irish Collegiate Programming Competition (Irl-CPC 2023) after a hiatus due to COVID. The competition was held in the Western Gateway Building at University College Cork and was co-organised by the UCC ACM Student Chapter and the Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics.
The main competition welcomed 32 teams (three students per team) from nine different academic institutions to test their collective problem solving, numeracy and computer programming skills. There were also six secondary students in the junior track in a solo battle between themselves and going against their college counterparts using the same problem set.
After an intense day of competition with the main session running for five hours the winners of the college and junior track were as follows:
The intervarsity best programmers were:
- Bronze: Team LiGiMi, Dublin City University (Michael Cojocaru, Liam Collier and Giuseppe Esposito)
- Silver: Team Infection, Dublin City University (Tu-Khiem Le, Van-Tu Ninh and Bunyarit Puangthamawathanakun)
- Gold: Team BigBoggerBoys3 (aka BugabooBusters), an inter-university group from University College Cork, Maynooth University and Dublin City University. Congratulations to Suneet Mahajan, Ruadhán MacGiolla Phádraig and Oisín Davey.
The winners in the junior section were:
- Bronze: Ayushi Mahajan – Christ King Secondary School, South Douglas Road, Cork
- Silver: Yuan Li – Sandford Park School, Ranelagh, Dublin 6
- Gold: Isaac Lee – Presentation Brothers College Cork
The competition would not have been possible without the support of the sponsors, Cadence Design Systems who were the main competition sponsor, Keelvar who provided support towards nourishment for the very long day and WebSell and EverVault.
Immense thanks goes to the volunteers on the day without whom the event could not have happened and who worked so hard to make the day such a success.