PhD Position in Knowledge-Informed Deep Representation Learning
We invite applications for a PhD fellowship at the INSIGHT Centre for Data Analytics, Dublin City University. The position is funded by Science Foundation Ireland. The research project will be carried forward in collaboration with the Amsterdam Data Science (ADS) Institute as a strategic research partner, and Nokia Bell-Labs. In order to facilitate this, the successful PhD candidate will be seconded and sponsored to spend up to 25% of the time at ADS in Amsterdam.
The research project will focus on mechanisms to learn more robust and transparent deep representations by combining commonsense knowledge and neural networks.
This is a 4 year fully funded PhD position, with a PhD scholarship of euro 18,500 per year (no tax, PhD fees are paid) and a substantial financial support for training and exchange visits to ADS, as well as sponsorship for conference travels.
The candidate will explore and design a flexible intermediate representation that could bridge the gap between commonsense knowledge and deep representation learning, and is therefore expected to gain experience across these areas.
The candidate should have a Masters degree in a relevant field of study with an emphasis on areas such as Deep Learning, Knowledge Representation, Information Extraction, Probabilistic Graphical Models.
Desirable requirements include MSc degree in computer science, artificial intelligence or related discipline.
Essential Requirements include good knowledge of object-oriented design principles, strong background in java and python programming and familiarity with Unix/Linux systems.
The ideal candidate would also have:
- ability to work in a team-based environment developing state of the art software solutions on time and to specification
- motivated and proactive attitude, willing to take ownership and initiative in all work assignments
- excellent analysis and problem solving skills
- strong design, development & testing skills
- ability to produce relevant documentation
- skills in diagnostics development, bug-fix and problem resolution reporting and documentation
- excellent communication skills, verbal and written (English)
- creative thinking
Interested applicants are requested to submit (in pdf format):
- a Curriculum Vitae including relevant publicationsand the name and contact details of at least 2 referees
- a one page cover letter explaining why you think you would be the best candidate for the position.
Submissions should be sent by email with subject “SFI-PHD Application”to email@example.com.
Interviews will be carried out as soon as suitable candidates are identified.
The successful candidate is expected to start in November 2018.
Informal queries about this position should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.